Search Blog Posts

Friday, September 8, 2017

Introducing Myself!

Hello to everyone surfing the interweb!  It is the beginning of a new school year for the students, and the beginning of a new adventure for me as the new assistant coach for Williams.  I figured this would be a good outlet for those that are more interested about who I am, where I come from, and some of my skiing experiences that I hope to bring to the team.

I graduated from the College of St. Scholastica (Duluth, MN) in the spring of 2013.  I was a member of the varsity nordic team there for 4 years and competed for the Saints at 2 NCAA championships (2012, 2013).  My best result was an 11th place finish in the 20km mass start skate at Middlebury in 2013.  I owe everything to that team and my coach.  I had some rough experiences with skiing and racing while in high school and those four years in Duluth changed my outlook and perspective on skiing and is the reason why I want to be a ski coach.  I hope to be able to pass down those experiences and give the student-athletes here at Williams every chance to have the enjoyable and unforgettable collegiate experience that I had.

My most important lesson learned in College:  "You need to keep things fun, if you do not enjoy what you do, what is the point?"

Post-NCAA photo fun!
After graduating from St. Scholastica with a B.S. in Exercise Physiology, I went on to become the Lead Coach at Endurance United Ski Club (St. Paul, MN).  It was through Endurance United that I got my first real taste of ski coaching and instantly fell in love.  Interestingly enough I was able to be one of the coaches for the world famous Nick Gardner.  If any one would like to hear any embarrassing stories about Nick and his downhill skills, there will be plenty of time this Fall/Winter during van rides that I can spill some beans.

First race as "Coach"
In 2015 I parted ways with Endurance United to continue my education overseas.  I travelled to Jyväskylä, Finland to get a Masters degree in the Biology of Physical Activity, with a focus on the Science of Sports Coaching and Fitness Testing.  While in Finland, I was able to work closely with Rex Ski Wax, and traveled to several World Cup races and a wax technician.  It was an incredible experience to be involved with racing at the highest level and I hope to someday return as a coach to the World Cup level.
"Ya, thats right, we are World Cup coaches..."

After I finished my Masters degree, I moved back stateside and started working at Stratton Mountain School in Vermont as an assistant coach.  I will forever remember my time in Stratton as it gave me the opportunity to coach not only one of the best junior ski clubs in the US, but also work with the SMS Elite team and some of the best skiers in the world.

During the last two summers I have been the Head Coach for the NSW XC Ski Club based out of Perisher Ski Resort in Australia.  It has been an awesome experience to be able to ski in another part of the world (in July nonetheless).  This last summer was even more special for me as I was able to bring my partner with me to Australia as the Assistant Coach for the program and we got engaged on top of the highest mountain in Australia!

On top of Mt. Kosciuszko

Worlds greatest selfie.
This brings me to my time here at Williams.  I am pumped to be working with such a successful and storied program.  In my short time here so far I have noticed that one of the greatest attributes to this team is the team spirit and respect for everyone on the team.  I am looking forward to working with the team and starting this new chapter in my coaching career!

Cheers!

Jeremy Hecker

No comments:

Post a Comment