Search Blog Posts

Monday, December 24, 2012

The long drought is done

Did you miss it?????
I'm pretty excited for Quebec. It's not that I'm tired of Williamstown...a change of scenery would be nice, but I've been pretty beaten down by work this semester and from week one, the light at the end of the tunnel was always Canada. Quebec camp is the one week of the year when all I have to worry about is getting up in the morning and hitting the trails...the rest is just skiing. It's the ideal place to work on technique because not only do you not have to think about schoolwork, but it's also always the most perfect skiing of the year. Even the intervals feel surreal, like you're being willed along just because the name Lac St. Hilaire sounds kind of majestic.

When I packed my skis up for break, I left my road ferrules on my classic poles, thinking I'd change them when I got up to Quebec. Then David Dethier emailed me last night and told me the skiing was quite good, and I went up to meet Josh and Kalle up at the lodge with my rock kickers to scope out what I thought would be a bare, rocky scene. We were pleasantly surprised when we got there to find 6-8" on the trails and a moderate local snow falling. Certainly not Quebec, but certainly worthy of my training skis and snow tips. We'll be hitting it up hard tomorrow after Josh and I rip some old-school speedball with the Mt. Greylock Nordic Alums.

Speaking of old-school, there's an old-school nor'easter headed straight for us on Thursday. For those keeping score at home, that's actually a lot less ideal than it sounds. Don't look now, but if this storm becomes what they're projecting, we might have some issues getting out of Williamstown. Sophomore year all over again. Don't look now. Bud, even if it takes us 12 hours instead of 8, I'm still driving that damn van up on Thursday.

Happy Holidays everyone! Thank God for White Christmases!

The most beautiful thing in the world, the perpetual, local Prospect snowstorm.
Let it snow, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment