Search Blog Posts

Monday, July 25, 2022

When Cows Fly

 Writing a blog post? Sounds a lot like summer homework to me... but just this once I'll make an exception.

However, like everything else I do, it's gonna be a couple minutes behind Jenae's schedule.

Life moves pretty fast here in Lake Placid, where I've been spending the summer so far. With newly-renovated jumps, two (2!!) roller ski tracks, the High Peaks, and beautiful lakes, I and my nordic combined teammates Tate Frantz and Evan Nichols have been living the Good Life. 

A flying cow!

Training has been lots of fun, with progress made on the jump, some quality interval sessions, and some good hours in the mountains. 
The view from Algonquin Peak!

In between sessions, we're entrepreneurs. After emails, meetings, phone calls, and a damn good Google Slides presentation, the three of us were approved by the NY Olympic Regional Development Authority to work as tour guides at the jumps. Officially, we're Athlete Ambassadors-- Olympic hopefuls offering the public an exclusive insight into the training, mindset, and thrill of life as a professional athlete. If there's one thing Williams has taught me, it's how to bullish*t.
Each day from 12-2pm, two of us give visitors a complementary guided tour of the Jumping Complex-- culminating in the third Teammate (Evan, Tate and I switch off) performing a jump in front of the crowd. Visitors are extremely curious about the sport, and are genuinely psyched to get to know us and follow our careers. Watching visitors get excited about ski jumping and nordic combined makes the work really enjoyable! Meeting an athlete and getting to see them fly by moments later never fails to awe spectators, and the amazement they feel seems to move them to tip generously. 
Come check it out! And bring your wallet!

Hustlers hard at work.

While we don't get health care with our job, we do get free rides down the bobsled track. A good trade? You tell me.

When we're not training or working (or working/training), you can find us kicking back at the lake. 
Boats...
...and hoes!

My time in Lake Placid has been wonderful! I'll be enjoying this last week of Adirondack life before heading to Norway for August! Will I see any other Ephs there? Stay tuned!

Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment