Search Blog Posts

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Summer in Williamstown Starter Pack

Hello, avid blog readers! 

I want to take a moment to acknowledge that, though we did neglect you for a couple of years, we honestly did not forget about you. Over this hiatus, "the blog" came up in conversation at least once weekly. We frequently discussed favorite posts, explained to confused underclassmen what the blog is, and just generally took moments to hold you all in our thoughts and sit with the guilt and shame that came with abandoning this strong Blogspot community. I am so sorry. 

With that off my chest, it's time for a quick summer update! I've put off writing this post in the hopes that something truly wild will happen to me and impel me to get writing, but alas, you're stuck with hearing about my pretty humdrum life on campus. 

The most exciting thing about the present moment is that it is 95 degrees outside (hit 100 yesterday). Here's the view from where I am writing this (new Wachenheim Science Center!!). Don't be fooled by the nice scenery, I am in here because my room is unTHINKably tropical—as in, I cannot think thoughts let alone write words in there due to the extreme temperatures. Dorm living, can't beat it!


This week aside, summer here in Williamstown has been lovely! Over the years, I have come to really love this place and all the beautiful surrounding areas. So this spring, I figured: why leave?? and got a job working in the Alumni Office as a summer assistant. I started in May so I actually got my wish and didn't leave after the semester ended. It's been a cool experience to learn about a new aspect of college operations and relations! 

The college has been making up every reunion and graduation that was missed due to covid, so I've also gotten to work at those events as part of my job which has been super fun! Pictured above: having a moment with Ephelia. 

Another reason I wanted to be here this summer was to have the ability to travel around the east on weekends to visit friends and go on adventures! Here are a few highlights: 

Bar Harbor, Maine

Fourth of July in Warren, VT 


Lyme, NH area explored by bike with old pals!


I have of course also been doing alllll your typical Summer in Williamstown activities: museum trips, swimming holes, Theatre Festival shows, river floats, dog sitting, snow-hole visits, sunsets, finding the perfect window fan position, ice cream at Lickety 7+ times a week, etc, etc... See below:

There are so many students on campus this summer and it's been so fun to have the time to hang out with my friends off the team that I don't get to see as much during the year!

mirror art? we love Mass Moca.

The face of someone who is THRILLED to be holding snow on a 90-degree July day.

My homie Holly who I lived with for 11 days in June while her fam was out of town! 

Here we have the one person who is more passionate about Lickety than I am: Meet Liam Sullivan! or maybe take him out to ice cream if it's his friendship you're after...

Broad Brook dunk towards the end of my favorite trail run from campus! (14-mile Valhalla loop on the AT and Long Trail)

At this point in the summer, I am starting to really miss all my teammates who I haven't been lucky enough to see :/  I'm getting so stoked to all be back together and to get to know the new herd members come the fall, but for now, I know summer still has some epic adventures in store for all of us! 

So, stay tuned, stay stoked, and stay cool!

– Lilly B. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment