Search Blog Posts

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Jeremiah was a bullfrog

Hey folks! It’s been so fun to read about all your awesome summers! I’m writing from the comfort

of my fresh new dorm room. Here’s the summer recap: I spent most of June and July at home this

summer,  working at the same local restaurant as last summer and having an absolute blast with

most of the same great people as last summer. I cheffed up the fries, wings, chicken, salads, and

assembled a shit-ton of burgers. I also sliced innumerable pounds of bacon and onions and mastered

the art of speed cauliflower chopping. The most important exciting experience  of my employment

this summer came with an especially exhausting shift when my co-workers Max and Sam gave me a

little pre-workout to get me through the night. I was up until 2 AM with my eyes stuck WIDE open

and I’m pretty sure my fast twitch muscles were firing for about 6 hours straight.

The work squad along with some bacon chunks for your enjoyment.


During this time I was also training with a group of local college kids and some high school friends

from SMS as well. I got to spend time catching up with all my chums, cooking some great food and

generally being delinquents. Both my siblings were around as well and it was great to spend lots of

time with them            In my downtime, I continued to plot my much anticipated road trip scheduled for early August. I

initially intended to buy and convert an old van for this trip, but after tons of false leads and nearly

purchased plane tickets to North Carolina, I settled on the more realistic concept of a pickup truck.

The first one I visited in New York struck me as a pretty good option, and sick of chasing around

elusive and shifty vehicles, I bought it the very next day.

The new whip, christened Jeremiah, upon arrival at home.


On the way home from my somewhat impulsive purchase, I discovered a couple bonus features of

my charismatic automobile. The first was that the only perceivable function of the AC is to make an

alarming whistling noise, and second, turning the volume knob on the radio in one direction or the

other had no bearing on where the volume would end up. Finally, I concluded that it was a gorgeous

vehicle. I quickly lucked out and acquired a green truck cap from a kind fellow in Peru named Potter

for an absolute bargain and proceeded to exercise my limited carpentry abilities.

 

The progression of the bed construction with the result being a little more hippie that I would have

preferred but holding a full sized bed.


With the build finally complete, I set out in early August as planned with my final destination set for

Bailey’s house in Park City. I spent nights in Rhode Island, Ohio, Minnesota (with Chloe!), South

Dakota, South Dakota again, Wyoming, and then arrived in Utah on August 6th. The truck worked

flawlessly even as it approached 200,000 miles, and I got to cruise through some remarkable terrain

all while sweating my ass off thanks to the flawless performance of my AC. 


Rhode Island to Minnesota

Minnesota to Jackson


Once I got to Park City I was treated to some sweet peaks, amazing mountain biking, scrumptious

food (courtesy of Cindy Carmack), a strong dose of altitude, and a ton of fun. My western week

ended too quickly and I found myself once again behind Jeremiah’s wheel. Fortunately, I had Bailey

as my copilot for the drive home and we whizzed back across the country, stopping by Chloe’s again

and viewing a real butt load of corn before swinging through NYC and then home

Utah things + NYC fella

Arriving home on the 19th, I had 6 days to unpack, pack for a camping trip to NH with the frosh

(now sophs) + Sage, Tzevi, and our chum Henry, execute said camping trip, unpack from said

packing trip, then pack for school and move in on the 25th!


No comments:

Post a Comment