Search Blog Posts

Monday, August 7, 2017

Summer Roxx


Ok so my photos are probably not quite as quality as Jack’s, but I have been up to similar adventures in the mountains of Washington, aka the state that’s even better than Alaska. I’ve been trying to tick off some of the more classic alpine rock climbs in the area with mixed success, but loads of stoke. I’m starting to daydream about being dehydrated and semi-lost in the mountains after dark, which is probably a helathy(?) sign. 

After getting surgery for chronic compartment syndrome in April, I've been making slow but steady progress to regain my strength and fitness. Rollerskiing has been no problem, but I've had to slowly work back up to running. Last week I finally got the go-ahead from my PT to go on a 45 minute trail run. Life is good, friends. Life is good. 

Except life in the valleys isn't so good at the moment because we are dealing with smoke from not one, not two, but three wildfires. Word on the street is that the town where I work has the worst air quality in the nation! Good thing I have lungs of steel by now and enjoy a strange love for treadmills. When I’m not intently monitoring the local air quality, I’ve been working in a lab at a tree fruit research center where I do sciencey things I don’t quite understand, but I trust are important somehow. 

This face post-climb describes it all. 21 hours car-to-car, 7 hours of hard scary climbing whilst dehydrated and verging on heat exhaustion. 

Sun was setting and we still had a loooong way to hike back to the car. 
Topo from the aforementioned epic. Still have PTSD just looking at it.


They look cute, but don't be fooled. Quote from guidebook: "be prepared to throw rocks and yell if they start running towards you."

Crazy smoke plume from a nearby fire witnessed from Washington pass.

Sunset from a pretty stellar bivy. 
Needless to say, I slept with my ice axe.
Good ol' Washington granite

Part of an upcoming series titled Ivy Napping and Eating at the Top of Cliffs. Stay tuned for more exclusive footage. 

Central WA is not the place to be right now.

Cheers,
Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment