Search Blog Posts

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Overcome

Today is the greatest day I have ever been an Eph. Eli Hoenig just skied to a historic 6th place at the Division I National Championships. Jack Schrupp just skied an incredible personal best 24th place. Both have worked so hard all year long focused on this week, this day, this race, this finish. Beyond the race course, these guys are All-Americans too. They're friends and teammates you know you can always count on, who consistently put the team before themselves and who I know will be soft spoken about their victories today. That's why I am bragging for them.

This victory also represents the amazing people at the helm of our ship: Jason and Perry. Eli and Jack definitely had the best skis out there today, from what I could tell, and I know our coaches have been on a caffeine-klister fueled craze since the break of dawn working to make today possible. I know too, that Eli and Jack had the most fearsome cheerers on course today - I'll be surprised if Jason and Perry's voices have recovered by our spring meetings next month. Their heart, their souls, and their bodies too, are in this as much as we are. That kind of commitment is invaluable.

And the team, huddled around their laptops across campus, texting each other back and forth, desperately, hopelessly invested in events they, painfully, cannot control halfway across the country are big players here too. The community that the team has become this year is incredible. I know every single skier not in Steamboat was watching this race. 1500 miles apart or not - this was a team effort.

A team effort that I am proud, and lucky, to a part of. An effort that I won't soon, or ever, forget.

To Eli, to Jack, to Jason, to Perry, to teammates, to parents, to the Williams Skiing community - thank you for always giving your all and making today possible.

With love,

Jordan

1 comment: