Search Blog Posts

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

happy sad

The end of the season pretty much sucks.

There is always cause for celebration, of course. The sun comes out, the food table sags particularly heavy under the weight of excellent collective parenting and klister spreads over everything. 



And don’t get me wrong; this weekend was full of awesome highlights. Both teams ended on high notes. Jay and Perry (by extension) were recognized for their ABSOLUTELY AMAZING WORK. It cannot be overstated how deserving they are of the award- their body of work in the last two years is staggering in weight and depth.


 Kinda like Perry's donut.

But there’s this melancholy that settles over me- and I suspect my teammates. I don’t really know how to react. Despite the season sometimes being taxing and frustrating; despite skiing being an unfair sport and an incredibly hard sport; despite all of the effort it takes to put together five months as a team, we all love it and don’t know how to fill the vacancy.




I think back to my freshman year. I didn’t fully understand the gravity of the moment for Bud when he stepped out of our final team meeting- wordlessly, full of emotion. If three years on the team is anything like 40+ I’m starting to understand what he felt.


No comments:

Post a Comment