Search Blog Posts

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

TEAM

The 2016 Williams College Nordic Ski Team (Missing: Tyra Wynn) - These guys and girls are BALLERS. SO FAST. Moreover, they are best teammates, coaches, and friends one could ask for. 
Today I want to write a few words about the importance of team and the incredible group we have here in Williamstown this year. A team can be the most powerful tool to skiing fast, I know that the USST women have found this to be true. But it can also become a claustrophobic environment. One that can hold back an athlete if each team member is not working together towards a common goal.

This year, our team is most certainly the former - high speed, low drag - and this camaraderie and communal focus is our secret weapon on the EISA circuit. The positivity and energy that each of these individuals brings to the table each day is infectious. No one on this team is here for any other reason than to ski fast, be fit, and have fun. The focus in this year's group is unparalleled to any of the teams I have been on before. Each practice is run well and efficiently and it is clear that each skier is concentrating on improving some element of their skiing. What's best though, is that this focus doesn't take away from fun. I am hard pressed to think of many memories with this year's team that don't echo with the sound of laughter.

I am honored to be a part of this team. But even more, I am excited to be a part of this team. The momentum that has been building all fall and early winter keeps getting stronger. I am confident that this momentum will carry us to our best season as a team in many years and I can see many members of this team who are ready to have the best season of their life. It's an incredible feeling to be a part of and lends incredible confidence to know that when I'm feeling like I'm going to black out with 1km go, the thoughts of my team, my friends, will power me towards that finish line. I'll be leaning on them this season - there's a lot of energy to draw from there.

I hope all the readers of this blog can join us at a carnival this year to get a taste of what this team is all about. I promise you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment