Search Blog Posts

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Summer Adventures Across the Atlantic

I hope everyone out there in the Purple Valley and beyond is having a great summer! As for living beyond the Purple Valley, I've been working in Ireland for the last month doing research for my senior thesis with the Earth Institute at the University College of Dublin. I'm simulating the effects on extreme waves as they come to shore on the Atlantic coast of Ireland.

How the big boys do wavetanks


It has taken a bit of an adjustment to living and training in the city for this country boy. When I was doing field work in May, I had a trusty research assistant to train with (I miss you Jordan), but I've been training mostly on my own while I've been in Dublin this time around. Fortunately, I was able to get out of the city and take a brief backpacking trip to the Swiss Alps with a childhood friend who had an internship near Geneva.
That's the Matterhorn way in the background

The adventurers

The glaciers near Zermatt are alright.
Our first campsite on the Europa Trail. That bit that looks like a cliff: it's a really big cliff.
The rock slide bunkers assume that you're "dumb as a bag of hammers," just in case
Proper nutrition is always important
After that fantastically beautiful interlude, I'm now back on my working and road running grind in Dublin. I've found this summer that, although I don't mind city life, I have had to choose between training and spending time with other people. It has made me realize how blessed I am to spend so much time with people who love to get out and train. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you on campus in a month. I'll be back in the Berkshire's as of August 15th. If you're around town early hit me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment