Search Blog Posts

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Update from Switzerland



Hey everyone,

Will's blog post inspired me to write one and update you about what's happening in the more southern part of Europe.

I got some time off work in early July to go to my grandparents house in the Black Forest and do some biking around the Alps. It was nice to go to Germany to get a little change of scenery and some new running and biking routes. My grandpa often comes biking with us and he recently got an electric bike which makes it quite challenging to keep up with him. The first bike excursion we did in the Black Forest started with him speeding away from me and waiting for me at the top of the hill. It's a weird feeling to get dropped by an 84 year old man even if he does have a little motor on his bike!!
After spending a week in Germany my grandpa and I set off with the camping bus to go pick up my parents in Switzerland and start our week long biking tour.
We were on the road for 6 days and covered 455km (280 miles) and over 12'000 (40'000) meters in altitude. We went over passes that are often part of the Tour de France such as the Col d'Iseran, Alpe-d'Huez, Col de la Madeleine and others. We were incredibly lucky with the weather and always had sunny and clear skies.

First pass: Gr-St-Bernard 

There are still enormous quantities of snow in the mountains. It still snowed in June so everything is still frozen or covered in snow
The St-Bernard dog waiting to greet us at the top of the Petit-St-Bernard pass
The highest pass in Europe. Also my favorite one to ride up!

Grandpa waiting for breakfast in Val d'Isere. The mountain in the back is where the Alpine Skiing World Championship trails are 

These markers are along all the road so you know exactly how much further it is. A blessing and a curse

Col de la Croix de Fer was by far the hardest one of the tour!

Going up one of the many hairpin turns of the Alpe d'Huez 

Col de la Madeleine, a popular Tour de France pass

Grandpa and I going up towards Les Saisies, the mountains in the back are part of the Mont Blanc massif


But, the best part about biking Alp passes is that what goes up must come down, so every long uphill is followed by a long, windy downhill. It's fun to go down hairpin turns and be able to fly by cars!

looking down part of the Alpe d'Huez

All in all it was an amazing week with lots of training and sightseeing and if I can highly recommend biking in the Alps for volume training!

I'm now back in Switzerland working. I can't believe how fast time went by and it's less than a month until my departure for India so I am now busy with visa and other pre-departure formalities.

I hope everyone has had an amazing summer so far and will enjoy the end of it!!

Elena

Highest peak in Europe, the Mont Blanc 









No comments:

Post a Comment